The East Bay Community Law Center (EBCLC) is seeking a Housing Attorney/Clinical Supervisor to join its 6-person Housing Practice to represent low-income tenants in unlawful detainer cases, advocate for tenants in a broad range of housing-related legal problems, and contribute to the creation of more just and humane housing policies for Alameda County tenants. The ideal candidate is an excellent advocate with strong writing and organizational skills who has the ability to work well in a fast-paced, high-volume litigation setting, and experience in providing direct legal services to low-income people.
EBCLC is a non-profit organization founded in 1988 to provide high quality legal services to low income clients and educational opportunities for law students and community volunteers. As UC Berkeley Law School's community-based clinic, EBCLC is currently the largest provider of free legal services for low-income residents in the East Bay, with a staff of 40 and an annual roster of 150 law student interns providing services to 5,000 clients each year.
- Represent low-income tenants in unlawful detainer cases
- Help supervise weekly Tenants’ Rights Workshops, advising and advocating for tenants regarding a broad range of housing-related legal problems, including eviction defense, code enforcement, rent control, public housing (conventional and §8) and fair housing
- Conduct outreach and provide pro per assistance to tenants at self-help and community sites
- Teach, train, and supervise law students as part of Berkeley Law School’s clinical program
- Work collaboratively with other attorneys at EBCLC to provide holistic, wrap-around services addressing the root issues of poverty
- Additional tasks as assigned by Supervisor
- J.D. required, member of the California State Bar in good standing
- Ability to manage a demanding case load; excellent time management, priority-setting and organizational skills
- Excellent written advocacy skills
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse range of groups, including low-income clients, clients with mental disabilities, students, service providers and law school faculty
- Friendly, independent self-starter and outstanding team player
- Flexible and able to work in a high-volume, dynamic environment
- Unlawful detainer experience preferred
- Spanish-speaking ability required; applicants should be comfortable speaking Spanish with clients in person and on the phone.
This is a full-time regular salaried position starting as soon as possible. Starting salary between $50,000 and $57,000 commensurate with experience; generous benefits package including 100% employer-funded medical, dental, and vision plans, and paid time off.
Submit applications by email to firstname.lastname@example.org; by mail to East Bay Community Law Center, 2921 Adeline Street, Berkeley, CA 94703; or by fax to (510) 548-2566. Applications should include a cover letter, resume, short writing sample, and names/contact information for two professional references. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
EBCLC is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, age, ethnic background, sex, disability, or sexual orientation. People of color, women, LGBTQ people, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.