The Mills Legal Clinic of Stanford Law School has an immediate opening for a staff attorney in its Immigrants’ Rights Clinic (“IRC”) to focus on the urgent needs of the immigrant community—including members of the Stanford community—for litigation and advocacy in light of recent developments, including the executive actions undertaken by the Trump Administration. This is a one-year, fixed term position with the option of an additional year dependent on need and the budget.
The Staff Attorney will be invited to join the thriving clinical community at Stanford Law School where, together with the clinical faculty and staff, she or he will help train law students in support of the University’s policies and practices on immigrant’s rights. The Staff Attorney will report to Professor Jayashri Srikantiah, Director of the IRC.
Specific duties will include:
- Under the supervision and in partnership with Professor Srikantiah, develop impact litigation and advocacy strategies including those that address the needs of the Stanford University community.
- Supervise Stanford Law School students participating in this work, particularly small-group supervision and review of students’ written work, client interactions, and oral advocacy.
- Engage in substantial independent litigation and advocacy.
- Participate in events, conferences, and symposia related to this work; serve as an expert resource to the Stanford community.
Applicants for this staff attorney position must have:
- At least 3 years of experience working on immigration and civil rights issues (5-7 years strongly preferred);
- Significant experience with federal court litigation;
- Strong academic credentials and multi-tasking abilities;
- Excellent teamwork skills;
- Experience working with diverse immigrant communities (Spanish language capability preferred); and
- Successful teaching and student supervision experience or the demonstrated potential for such teaching and supervision.
Applicants should submit resumes through http://stanfordcareers.stanford.edu/, referencing job number 73938. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Direct link to apply: https://stanfordcareers.stanford.edu/jobsearch?jobId=73938
In addition, applicants should send the following materials to the addresses below:
- a statement no longer than two pages describing: (i) prior experience in immigration litigation and advocacy; (ii) other relevant experience; and (iii) information relevant to the applicant's interest and potential for clinical supervision and teaching;
- a resume;
- a list of at least three references;
- a complete law school transcript; and
- a sample brief that the applicant authored (without substantial editing by others) that was filed in immigration court or the federal courts.
Applicants may send the materials electronically to Judy Gielniak, Associate Director of the Mills Legal Clinic, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Hard copies may be sent to: Jayashri Srikantiah Professor of Law Director, Immigrants’ Rights Clinic Stanford Law School Crown Quadrangle 559 Nathan Abbott Way Stanford, CA 94305-8610
* * * * * * * * * * * * *
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to recruiting and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.